Come to the Animal Control Department to look for your lost pet as soon as possible. Due to the large number of animals, some may be held for only three days after intake. It is recommended you visit the shelter at least every other day to check for your lost pet.
If you have lost your pet:
- Talk to your neighbors
- Look for your pet in your neighborhood and surrounding areas
- Post signs in your neighborhood
- Come to the Animal Shelter every other day to check for your pet
Between shelter visits, search an online database of lost animals that are in the shelter. This is not as reliable as visiting the shelter in person and is not a substitute for visiting the shelter. Only YOU can positively identify your pet.
Most stray animals are owned by someone. Don’t keep an animal that you find without first making a real effort to locate the owner. Talk to neighbors and post signs. Do not expose your pets or family to a stray animal who might be sick or dangerous.
- If you can keep the found pet temporarily, call or contact Amarillo-Panhandle Humane Society at (806)373-1716 to submit a Found Animal Report.
- If you bring in a found pet, please provide information about where and when it was found.
- If you have found a stray animal and cannot bring it to the shelter, contact Animal Control Dispatch at (806)378-3092. An Animal Control Officer should be able to pick it up.
Open Intake Shelter
The Animal Control Department is an open-intake animal shelter serving the City of Amarillo. It accepts any animal that needs shelter, regardless of age, health, species, breed or behavior, and regardless of whether it is a stray or owned.